DEADLINE: January 31, 2020, Vienna, Austria time
Applications for the Vienna Biocenter Summer School in Vienna, Austria 2020 is now in progress. A unique opportunity for approximately 30 students at the summit working in a complex scientific environment together with leading researchers. The goal of our program is to attract talented students from all over the world and create a lively and varied environment. It is the ideal training for students who want to study in the field of life sciences. Successful applicants receive a room, a travel allowance and a grant for the duration of the study. It begins on the last Friday in June and is completed every year on the last Friday in August.
Description of the program
A faculty member with whom they work closely will be assigned to each student. A variety of research projects are available in the areas of molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, bioinformatology, RNA, stem-cell biology, and biochemistry. A current topic in the assigned lab is the focus of the research project. The scientist will conduct experiments, analyze data, generate ideas and discuss their findings with the help of a member of the laboratories. The scholar will also take part in laboratory meetings and journal clubs in addition to realistic laboratory work.
Benefits of attending
- Free student accommodation.
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week program.
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks.
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship.
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna.
- Numerous social events.
To apply you need to have the following:
- Completed at least 2 years of a University study (eg. 2/3 years of a Bachelor study or at least 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June)
- Some previous research experience
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
HOW TO APPLY?
When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While we cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, we will make our best efforts to do so. Arrangements will be made for applicants from overseas to secure the necessary visas. Applicants should be aware that the working language of the institutes is English.
The website opens for applications at the beginning of December and closes on 31 January each year.
Successful applicants will be notified in the first week of March.